After years in the roofing industry, asphalt shingles are our preferred roofing shingles on the market. They’re the most popular roof shingle product in the United States with over 70% of residential homes opting for this roofing material option. An easy to produce, economical product, asphalt shingles come in a variety of design options. Our preferred asphalt shingle products from CertainTeed, GAF, Owens Corning, and others not only protect your home but also increase its curb appeal.
Advantages Of Asphalt Roof Shingles
Asphalt shingles provide many advantages over other roofing materials on the market including wood, tiles, and metal shingles. From being more affordable to overall variety in design options, asphalt shingles are appealing for any homeowner and their roofing system.
- Affordable – Due to their popularity, asphalt shingles see a high-volume production rate resulting in cost savings. And, as a low maintenance product with a long life cycle, asphalt shingles come out ahead as the affordable option.
- Durable – With a typical lifespan that can last up to, and exceed, 30 years, asphalt composition shingles are a reliable, long term option. These shingles are durable enough to withstand the type of wind seen in the Seattle area. Meaning you get cost savings due to fewer repair jobs.
- Versatility – More than ever, asphalt shingles come in a wide variety of styles and colors that mimic the look of slate, wood shake, or tile. Tones ranging from pale gray to reddish-brown to blue-green, there are also variegated varieties and options to make your roof look weathered for vintage-inspired homes. The look and color choices are endless!
Types Of Asphalt Shingles
There are three main types of asphalt shingles – 3 tabs, dimensional, and luxury shingles – on the market today.
- Dimensional Shingle – Also known as architectural shingles, these are the most prevalent shingles used today. Manufactured with two or more layers, architectural dimensional shingles, come together to create a more complex multi-dimensional shingle look to mimic wood shake shingles and slate roofing materials. Architectural shingles are thicker and heavier than 3 tab shingles making them more durable.
- Luxury Shingle – The highest-quality laminate shingles available on the market. luxury shingles – also known as premium shingles – are the heaviest asphalt shingle available on the market. Additionally, luxury shingles are a stunning textured shingle option that provides the most realistic wood shingle and natural slate shingles look.
- 3 Tab Shingle (Strip Shingle) – While A Better Roofing Company doesn’t recommend 3 Tab Shingles (three-tab shingles), they are the original and most basic type of asphalt shingles on the market. Due to low weight, they are not a durable choice and are typically used on inexpensive home roofs. If you are interested, talk with your roofing contractor to understand more about 3 tab shingles (three-tab shingles) for your roofing project.
Specialty Asphalt Shingles
Sometimes you need more than just a good looking roof. Over the years, manufacturers have developed technologies that address various roofing issues common in the Seattle area. From
- Stain Resistant Shingles – Living in a wet climate, staining associated with algae growth is a common roof issue. Some manufacturers now provide asphalt shingles that can help to mitigate this issue including CertainTeed’s Streakfighter technology, Pabco Algae Defender performance enhancer, and Owen’s Corning Streakguard protection.
- Impact Resistant Shingles – If you live in an area prone to strong storms that include hail, impact resistance asphalt shingles make a difference in the integrity of your roof. With Class 4 Impact Resistance, like CertainTeed’s Landmark IR and Owen’s Corning TrueDefinition Duration Storm, shingles are more flexible and able to take the force of major storms.
- Solar Reflective Shingles – Lighter colored shingles with more reflective granules, allow for the sun to reflect off of your roof leading to a cooler home during the summer months. Several companies provide Energy Star approved shingle roof products including CertainTeed’s Landmark Solaris and Pabco Premier Radiance.
- Wind Resistant Shingles – While most asphalt roofing shingles are warranted up to 110 mph wind uplift, there are options to increase in high wind areas to 130 mph wind resistance. Some of the many products on the market helping to reduce wind damage include Owens Corning Duration Series and GAF Timberline CS.
Shingle Roof Installation Cost Factors
When it comes to roof installations and replacement, there are many variables that go into pricing out the roofing job. These are general ideas but please give us a call for a more detailed quote!
- Size – If there is more square footage to cover the longer it takes for replacement or installation. Plus the need for more materials adds to the total cost.
- Accessibility – If access to your roof is difficult, equipment and added labor will be needed to access the roof, remove existing roof materials, and complete the roof system.
- Roof Pitch – An unusually steep roof slope will add cost to shingle installation as it requires additional safety procedures to ensure the safety of our employees.
- Roof Valleys & Peaks – The more varied the roof, the more it will increase the cost of roof installation. Wherever there is a joint, requires more attention to detail as these areas are more prone to leaks.
- Roof Components – While shingles will need to install, there are other elements that go into a well-built roof including waterproofing layers, roof deck materials, fasteners, and more.
Asphalt Shingle Manufacturers
With many different asphalt shingle manufacturers on the market, you can find almost any type of composition shingle to fit your needs. We carry a variety of different brands including:
- Pabco – With remarkable products and exceptional people, Pabco has been providing quality asphalt shingles since 1984. Based out of Tacoma, Washington provides a Limited Lifetime warranty covering the residential owner at the time of install for 50 years. The family-owned company offers an array of products and technologies including solar reflective technology, algae defender protection, and architectural shingles.
- GAF – Over 130 years old, GAF has grown to become the largest roofing manufacturer in North America. In 2011, they were the first to introduce a Lifetime Limited Warranty. With a large variety of options, from 3 tab to premium shingles, and technologies including impact resistance, staining, and solar reflecting. This North American brand’s most popular line with customers is the Timberline HD Line.
- CertainTeed – Considered the premium shingle manufacturer in the US and Canada, CertainTeed offers a wide variety of residential roofing options. Their warranty is one of the best out there with coverage for damages from manufacturing defects, weathering, workmanship, and more. Their most popular line is the Landmark Line with a high-end look at an affordable price.
- Owens Corning – A Fortune 500 company for almost 60 years, Owens Corning specializes in insulation and a long shingle life. They also create the fiberglass used in asphalt shingles. The Duration Line is one of the most popular due to its durability and “high-end” appearance without the cost.
About A Better Roofing Company
Founded in 1991, Kurt and Scott started their business on California Avenue SW in Seattle. This location was a half block away from where the brothers were born and raised on SW Findlay Street.
A Better Roofing Company has now grown and expanded to bring Bellevue area customers unmatched expertise and knowledge about roofing projects and materials based upon years of hands-on experience and training. From a deep understanding of products, installation methods, and home protection guidelines, your home is safe in the hands of our trained roofing technicians.
We treat our employees with the utmost respect with high rates, retirement plans to ensure low turnover rates, and producing employees that genuinely care about what they do. Now you know that you are getting the best care, and your home is in the best hands possible.